Job Title: Water Laborer
Job Code: 1660
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Foreman or Equipment Operator
Employees of this class follow well established procedures in the performance of semi-skilled to skilled labor connected with various water system construction and maintenance activities. Work involves a variety of tasks from those routine in nature to those involving more complex journeyman tools and machinery Instructions may be given orally or in writing. Simpler tasks may be performed with considerable independence, while more complex tasks are performed under the direct supervision of a skilled worker. Work is subject to inspection during its progress and after completion.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
(All duties listed may not be included in any one position nor does the list include all tasks found in a position of this class.)
- Maintains a safe working environment.
- Lays pipe, concrete, rocks, and other materials used in the construction, maintenance, and repair of water mains, service lines, meters, and related appurtenances.
- Paints various structures, and performs a variety of other semi-skilled maintenance and repair work.
- Services, cleans and maintains vehicles, tools and equipment as necessary.
- Maintains Water Department lawns and landscape.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Drives trucks and other vehicles in connection with light hauling.
- Operates tractors and other smaller equipment when needed.
- Responds to after-hours calls for water outages or repairs as required.
- Repairs and/or replaces asphalt, concrete, landscaping and other hardscape as necessary following water system repairs.
- Education and Experience
- Knowledge, Skill, and Ability
- Physical Requirements
- Certifications or Licenses Required
$ 27,414.40 annually, DOE
MADISON COUNTY COMMISSION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Full-Time Employee Benefits Summary
Healthcare Insurance: Blue Cross of Alabama administered through the Local Government Health Insurance Plan (LGHIP).
Single Coverage Bi-weekly Premium
Family Coverage Bi-weekly Premium
Dental Coverage: Dental coverage is included with LGHIP through Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama. LGHIP manages dental costs and provides enhanced dental benefits using negotiated discounts with in-network dentists. To locate in-network dentists go to www.bcbsal.com. Assuming the services are covered you will normally only be responsible for out of pocket.
Life Insurance: Madison County provides $25,000 in life, $25,000 in accidental death and dismemberment and $25,000 line of duty insurance to eligible employees in certified positions.
Employee Retirement Plans: Employees are required to participate in the Employees Retirement System, which is administered through the Retirement
Systems of Alabama (RSA).
Employees participate at one of the following levels:
Tier 1: An employee who had service credit in RSA prior to January 1, 2013 and contribute at a level of 5% per pay period. *The County contributes at a rate of 10.89%.
Tier 2: An employee who was hired on or after January 1, 2013 and contribute at a level of 6% per pay period. *The County contributes at a rate of 8.42%.
*Contribution percentage is set by the Retirement Systems of Alabama and changes annually.
Employee Clinic: Madison County employees and dependents over age 12 may use the Employee Health Clinic for the low co-pay of $15.00 per visit. To be eligible to use the clinic, the employee and dependent must be enrolled in Madison County’s health insurance plan as their primary coverage.
Voluntary Plans are also available:
*Additional life Insurance for employee and dependents
*Flex spending accounts (healthcare and childcare)
Holidays, Annual Leave and Sick Leave:
*Minimum of 10 holidays per calendar year
*Accrue 8 hours of annual leave and 8 hours of sick leave per month