|Department:||Sheriff's Department (Jail)|
Job Title: Detention Specialist
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Reports to: Department Supervisor
This position will provide computer support to the Booking and/or Release position by collecting and entering inmate demographic information. The incumbent will provide job duties in the Booking and Release of inmates. In addition, the incumbent will provide coverage of the main incoming telephone lines. Incumbent will be the direct customer service person for the main telephone line and will answer questions, and provide requested information to Bonding companies, media, family members and other law enforcement agencies. Advice is given to employees on unusual problems and on new assignments by their supervisor.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
(All duties listed may not be included in any one position nor does the list include all tasks found in a position of this class.)
- Booking and Release. Provides computer entry requirements and understands how to process court paperwork, warrants and new charges into the Jail Management System. Obtains and delivers confidential information which must be held in the strictest confidence. Performs other Booking and Release duties as assigned.
- Clerical. Answers telephone, performs data entry and operates standard office machines and appliances, including computer. Maintains various types of records, files and performs incidental clerical assignments such as filing, etc. Performs related work as required.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities. Skill in the operation of computer, modern office practices and procedures, able to multi-task and be detail oriented. Skill in the operation of common office appliances, including computer word processing and data entry; ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions as required; must have the ability to remain alert and calm; ability to accurately maintain simple clerical records; ability to write legibly as required; ability to maintain effective working relationships with other employees; ability to learn assigned clerical tasks readily. Must possess a level of fitness equal to the requirements of the Corrections Academy and be able to continue a fitness program to ward off fatigue, stress and health problems attributed to not maintaining good health practices.
- Education and Experience. Any combination of education and experience equivalent to: Graduation from a standard high school; 1-3 years experience in responsible clerical work or other related field. Incumbent must learn and become proficient on the Jail Management System.
- Work and Physical Environment. Work is performed in the jail and will have daily contact with inmates in the Booking and Release areas. This contact will be face-to-face, but there will be no actual physical contact with inmates due to a separation by a counter. Work is essentially sedentary with occasional walking, standing, bending, and carrying items less than 25 pounds such as books, papers, office supplies, and file folders. Work requires the physical ability to sit in confined seating for extended periods of time, and operate a computer keyboard. Incumbent will be required to attend the Corrections Academy and certain aspects of self-defense and self-protection. During the Corrections Academy, the incumbent will be required to complete a modified physical training program.
MADISON COUNTY COMMISSION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Healthcare Insurance: Blue Cross of Alabama administered through the Local Government Health Insurance Plan (LGHIP).
|Coverage Type||Employee's Premium||County's Contribution|
|Single Coverage Bi-weekly Premium||$ 91.00||$ 444.00|
|Family Coverage Bi-weekly Premium||$ 178.00||$ 1,082.00|
Dental Coverage: Dental coverage is included with LGHIP through Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama. LGHIP manages dental costs and provides enhanced dental benefits using negotiated discounts with in-network dentists. To locate in-network dentists go to www.bcbsal.com Assuming the services are covered you will normally only be responsible for out of pocket.
Life Insurance: Madison County provides $25,000 in life, $25,000 in accidental death and dismemberment and $25,000 line of duty insurance to eligible employees in certified positions.
Employee Retirement Plans: Employees are required to participate in the Employees Retirement System, which is administered through the Retirement Systems of Alabama (RSA).
Employees participate at one of the following levels:
Tier 1: An employee who had service credit in RSA prior to January 1, 2013 and contribute at a level of 5% per pay period. *The County contributes at a rate of 10.42%.
Tier 2: An employee who was hired on or after January 1, 2013 and contribute at a level of 6% per pay period. *The County contributes at a rate of 8.17%.
*Contribution percentage is set by the Retirement Systems of Alabama and changes annually.
Employee Clinic: Madison County employees and dependents over age 12 may use the Employee Health Clinic for the low co-pay of $15.00 per visit. To be eligible to use the clinic, the employee and dependent must be enrolled in Madison County’s health insurance plan as their primary coverage.
Voluntary Plans are also available:
*Additional life Insurance for employee and dependents
*Flex spending accounts (healthcare and childcare)
Holidays, Annual Leave and Sick Leave:
*Minimum of 10 holidays per calendar year
*Accrue 8 hours of annual leave and 8 hours of sick leave per month